Feedback Thoughts

The first article I read was Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head, what I got most out of this article is how important our strengths are. In social work, strength based practice is ingrained into us from the very beginning. We are taught when you are working with a client that no matter the circumstances, look for the strengths. Does the client have a support system? Maybe in their deepest despair they can find some humor. It is easy to find the strengths in other people often times but when it comes to yourself it can be more difficult. In this article, the author say to focus on the positive and dig deeper than just thinking of the positive. She talks about questioning yourself on how your reacted when someone gives you a compliment, like asking yourself if you minimized it. I think that this is a great approach, it's easy to just shrug off someone's compliment because you may not think they mean it or you may think that what you did or do isn't that big of a deal. It's important to acknowledge your positives in the moment so you can reflect on them later.

When I read this article I was also thinking about imposter syndrome, which is something I struggle with a lot. Imposter syndrome makes you feel like a fraud despite your successes, skills, and intelligence. It can make you feel inadequate and stems from  self-doubt. The author of this article does a good job of explaining ideas on how to counter negative self-doubt talk.

In the second article Why Rejection Hurts So Much and What To Do About It, the author talks about how some believe that the pain of rejection is rooted in evolution and in the beginning when humans would be kicked out of a tribe, they needed to conform and change their behavior to be able to stay and survive. He then goes on to talk about ways to not bring yourself down even further when you are experiencing rejection. One of the suggestions is to surround yourself with people you enjoy when you are experiencing rejection. This is my go to, recently I applied for an internship that I really really wanted and I didn't get it. I was really upset and kept wondering what I said wrong. What helped me was being with my friends shortly after getting the news that I didn't get the internship. It impacted my self-esteem but my friends knew what to say and were there to remind me that there would be more opportunities. 


Comments