Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal

I had two favorite stories from the readings this week. My favorite one was The Lion and the Statue, it is very, very short so I focused my notes on my second favorite reading, The Tiger, the Brahman and the Jackal by Joseph Jacobs. 

The Lion and the Statue, by Joseph Jacobs was my favorite because of the simplicity of the story while conveying such a strong and true message. History is always written by the winners is the phrase that comes to mind when I read this short story. 



Reading Notes: The Jackal Character

  • The Jackal- the trickster in the story
    • When looking up characteristics of a jackal the two most common are resourceful and cunning. This story proves these characteristics to be true. 
    • The whole time the jackal knew and understood, and had a plan for what he was going to do to the tiger. I do not believe the jackal was trying to save the Brahman in particular, I think that the Jackal was just doing what was right, what he thought the tiger deserved from sending the Brahman on a quest that was nearly impossible. 
    • Not only tricked the tiger, but also tricked the Brahman into taking him where the tiger was
    • Used "my lord" when speaking to the tiger, using terms of endearment to gain trust/remain inconspicuous when leading the tiger into the cage with the simplicity of his words
Side notes: 
  • The tiger was so confident that he was going to have the Brahman for "dinner" that he allowed 5 minutes- he began to grow impatient which led to him being trapped again
  • Interesting that the Brahman trusted the tiger yet again to not eat him depending on the decision of the first three things the Brahman chose to question 

Comments