Time Strategies

I could not live without my planner. I splurge about $30 every year on a new planner because it literally helps me navigate my entire life. Do I need a $30 planner? Absolutely not, but if i'm writing in it and looking at it every day, I need it to be something I enjoy. I have an hourly planner and that is what works best for me. Working full time, internship, school, and having a child means my life revolves around time management. I already have my flow of managing my time and it all revolves around my planner. There is of course always room for improvement.



In The Myth of "Too Busy" I was reminded that it really is all about prioritizing your time and removing the mundane day to day things you do that bring no real meaning into your life. For me, this would be social media and it is something I am working on cutting out of my life. Social media is great, in moderation. I was also reminded that it is important to schedule every part of your day (if you're into that). Self-care is something that gets away from me, I guarantee if I wrote it into my schedule every week I would practice it more because honestly it would drive me crazy having to cross it out because I didn't do it. 

I have bad FOMO, for those that don't know what this is, it's fear of missing out. I am really bad at saying no to my friends when they invite me to really anything. This is something that I had to really really work on when starting the social work program because I had to learn how to prioritize my time differently than I had been. I also listened to a few podcasts that helped me get over my FOMO, or at least not worry about it as much. In the article 3 Steps to Recapture Time , Martinez writes about the art of no. It is so important to practice the art of no and it is something that I still have to work on daily. 

Comments

  1. Hi Destiny!

    I had to read this post because I saw the image was a funny tweet. I actually have never used a paper planner, but I use the "notes" app on my phone and laptop to keep a running schedule of what I have to do each week. I do not like missing out on fun with my friends, but I often say no because school has to be my number one priority. Good luck with all of your time commitments this semester; it sounds like a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment