Reading Notes: Reading A- The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking


In this story, two geese befriend a turtle. They are described as becoming good friends after meeting once. The geese ultimately ask the turtle if he would like to go back to their home. They say they are leaving the next day and they have a wonderful home and invite the turtle to come. 

The turtle agrees but then realizes he doesn't know how he will get there. The geese tell him, "Oh, we will take you, if only you can keep your mouth shut, and say not a word to anybody."

When this happened,  I thought the geese were being tricksters. They had to of had some evil plan.  

As I read, this wasn't the case. The geese returned the next day with a stick and told the turtle to hold on by his mouth and they would hold on to the two ends and fly him back that way (hence the reason why he needed to keep his mouth shut).



As they go on their journey, some children see the geese and turtle flying above them. The children start to say how ridiculous it was to see that.

The turtle was offended and said "Well, and if my friends carry me, what business is that of yours?"
Welp, he opened his mouth. When these words came out of his mouth he fell to his death.

This is not how I anticipated the story going. I am still searching for the moral of the story. I think it may be that not everything needs a reaction. But I also was really expecting the geese to have some underlying reason as to why they wanted to invite the turtle back to their home. Maybe they were just nice and wanted him as a friend. Who knows. 

Comments